In technological terms, the word “smart” or S.M.A.R.T. means Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. Manufacturers of hard disk drives developed “smart” technology as a way to increase hard drive reliability. The technology is what enables personal computers to predict failures of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology is not only an industry standard for hard drive manufactures, but it is the industry standard for just about everything in today’s world.
When smart technology comes to mind, most people think of smart phones. Smart phones have the ability to do almost everything a desktop or laptop computer can do and sometimes more. Owners can use their smart phone to surf the internet, pay bills, upload photos and videos to photo sharing or social networking websites, and participate in video chatting. Smart phones continue to advance in the many special features they provide their users and the smart technology continues to be used in many other areas such as homes, schools, businesses, and any other area in which smart technology can provide a number of benefits.
Google announced that they will be releasing goggles which run on the Android operating system. These goggles or smart glasses will have the ability to augment reality. This means these glasses can duplicate the surrounding environment of the user into a computer. With the use of applications downloaded to smart phones, augmented reality can make playing video games more realistic; it can be used to help educate people on safety by utilizing applications to make real-world consequences on unsafe driving more realistic; it can be used in politics by applications which allow users to interact with political billboards to watch videos from candidates on their smart phone; it can be used to interact with art galleries; and it can be used for the purpose of increasing sales by providing users with a way to interact or get involved with the company and its product or service.
Currently, smart sunglasses are being developed which will detect bright spots from the sun light. When the bright spot is detected that area of the sunglasses will darken. This will prevent the wearer from having a blinding glare from the sun. This will be a great technology as it can help prevent car accidents from the driver not being able to see. Another smart tool being researched is something called memory glasses. These will be for someone who has an early onset of dementia or other types of memory problems. The eyewear will have the ability to identify patterns such as grocery items, loved ones, or street signs, automatically. This type of technology will help prolong the amount of time a person with memory problems can live independently.
Smart technology continues to provide a vast amount of benefits for individuals, businesses, cities, healthcare, and the environment. The use of certain smart eyewear can help prevent automobile accidents by eliminating blinding glare; help identify certain things for a person suffering from dementia, and increase safety awareness. Smart technology will increasingly get smarter and provide an even greater amount of benefits which have yet to be seen.
The following links provide information on new smart technologies being developed, current smart technologies being used, and smart technologies of previous years.
- Behind the Google Goggles – This New York Times article discusses the virtual reality behind the Google smart glasses.
- Augmented Reality – This PDF document provides seven things people should know about augmented reality including what it is, how it works, and the future of this technology.
- Wearable Computing – This link provides a brief timeline history of wearable computing from 1268 to 1997.
- Ambient Intelligence – This PDF document discusses the important role wearable computing and wearable sensors have on ambient intelligence.
- Smart Clothing – This article discusses some of the benefits of having clothing which is enabled with smart technology.
- Smart Technology and the Elderly – This PDF document discusses the perceived smart technology needs of an aging population who have mobility impairments.
- Smart Sunglasses – This article discusses the development of smart sunglasses which will help eliminate a blinding glare.
- Smart Grid Technology – This article provides more information on smart grid technology; one of the many smart technologies of the 21st century.
- Drugstore Smart Tools – This article discusses some smart tools which are being developed such as memory glasses, smart socks, anger alerts, and smart bandages.
- Portable Spatial Information Technologies – This PDF document discusses new technologies which include GEO sketch pads, smart horizons, smart compasses, smart glasses, and magic wands.